Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One in a Million.... Three Times!

I’ve been in New York for exactly, approximately, six weeks -- spending pretty much every minute of every day in Manhattan.
For those of you who have never been to this amazing place, it will surprise you how small Manhattan really is.
True, Manhattan is one of the most densely populated areas in the world, housing nearly 1.7 million people.
But did you know that the entire island is just 22.96 square miles of land?
That means that you can’t even complete the world famous New York Marathon without starting in another borough.
I’ve done my part to walk as much of the area as possible, taking a cab or a subway, only when necessary.
Walking around New York City has given me a chance to play one of my favorite sports -- the sport of people watching.
And with as many people as I watch every day, I thought the star sightings would be fast and furious.
So much for that theory.
I did see women’s basketball star Lisa Leslie.
Does that count?
I also saw NASCAR superstar Jeff Gordon and former Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
But that was at the Yankees game.
Just because I haven’t seen many stars, doesn’t mean it is hard to be seen.
A few weeks ago I went out to get a bite to eat after work with an attractive, married, female friend, who was on a work trip.
We were eating at a place like 35 blocks from my office.
The next morning I came into work and was greeted by, “so who were you having dinner with last night?”
Apparently one of my co-workers lives near that restaurant.
(Note to self:  if you are ever going to get a bite to eat after work with an attractive, married, female friend, who is on a work trip, do it in Teterboro, New Jersey -- population 18.)
Even with the tight quarters of Manhattan, I have managed to run into exactly zero people I know on the street.
True, I know just a few more than zero, but still.
I have so few friends in NYC, I’ve had to recruit some old friends to fly in and visit.
This past weekend, one of my best friends, David, and his wonderful new bride Gelila, came out all the way from the left coast,  just to see me (and get some work done too).
In addition to spending some serious quality time with them, it was also great to just have someone to hang with.
Saturday morning we decided to walk up 5th Avenue to check out the New York shopping scene.
We had just walked out of a store on 57th and 5th when Gelila nearly ran into, literally, a friend from the LA area.
How cool is that?
3,000 miles away from home and you run into a friend.
So we continued on our window shopping excursion, taking us all the way from 57th to 23rd to 14th to the Village area.
As we passed the corner of Broadway and Prince, a man walks out of a store and nearly slams into David.
Good thing he didn’t.
That would’ve been really uncomfortable, especially since it was David's good friend, a guy he used to work with in LA.
How cool is that?
3,000 miles away from home and you run into a friend.
Sunday morning the three of us headed over to Penn Station to hop on a train.
If you’ve never been to Penn Station, let me tell you, the place is massive.
It’s so big, the show Lost was based on trying to find a restroom at Penn Station.
Little known fact.
You couldn’t run into someone you know there if you tried.
Unless you are David and Gelila.
While we were waiting in line to buy train tickets, twin sisters stepped in right behind us.
David turned around and I heard something resembling, “you have got to be kidding me.”
What?
Again?
You have got to be kidding me!
These sisters were the identical sisters who work out at David’s gym.


IN LOS ANGELES!!!!!
3,000 miles away!!!!!

Now I’m getting pissed.
Of course I could’ve pulled out the TRUE story from the mid-70’s when my mother, brother and I were stranded on a highway in the Nevada desert.
Middle of the day.
Summer.
115 degrees. 
Overheated car.
An RV drives by, sees us, pulls over.
We walk over to the door and its a friend from San Diego.
300 miles away.
What’s the chance of that David and Gelila?
I coulda pulled out that one.
But the last time I checked, 3,000 miles beats 300 miles.
Every time.
And 3,000 miles x 3 times, including one set of twins, beats any hand I could come up with.
I’m pleased to say that David and Gelila FINALLY headed home today.
Now I can walk on the streets of New York again, peacefully, without being bothered.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Census information on the town of Teterboro is incorrect. While not a huge difference, the population is actually closer to 60 and NOT 18.

Sir Bacon said...

Thank you. So much for that plan.