Sunday, October 30, 2011

The One I Missed


I.
Sir Bacon.
Was actually accused of getting caught up in the hype.
Just yesterday.
The exact text said:
“Gm 6 not greatest game ever.  Ur caught up In hype.  Everything now has to be best.”
He must’ve learned how to write by reading my blog.
And I appreciate it.
Now I respect his sports knowledge as much as anyone I’ve ever met.
But he wasn’t done there.
He then listed all of the games that he felt were better than Thursday night’s masterpiece.
Gm 6 86
Gm 4 93
Donnie Moore game
Astros mets 86
Jack Morris 10 inning shutout
Ok, I get it.
You subscribe to wikipedia.
And maybe you are right.
Like Flavor Flav, maybe I shouldn’t have believed the hype.
But for me, game 6 was the best game I’d ever seen.
Until next year.
Gm 6 86... name one play before the ball went between Buckner’s legs.  You can’t.
Gm 4 93... 15-14... Blue Jays get 6 in the 8th win.  Mitch Williams implodes.  Again.  Ok, that’s on the list.
Donnie Moore game... really?  One swing makes it a great game?  really? 
Astros mets 86... five runs in the 16th inning... after the game was tied with 3 in the 9th.  Good call.
Jack Morris 10 inning shutout... Jack Morris 10 inning shutout?  I don’t remember that one....
(Insert Harp Flashback Music)
I have always been a fan of the underdog.
In the mid-80’s, out of nowhere, I became this diehard fan of the Minnesota Twins.
And back in the day I was willing to put my money where my heart was.
In 1987, before the season started, I actually bet $20.
In Las Vegas.
That the Minnesota Twins would win the American League.
Back in 1987, $20 was a lot of money.
And the Twins were terrible.
I think I got like 30-1 odds on that bet.
But based on how pathetic the Twins were, the odds should’ve been like 3,000,000-1.
Nevertheless, through some good fortune and lots of luck.
The ‘87 Twinkies did what everyone said couldn’t be done.
They went from worst-to-first.
Winning the division.
Winning the League Championship.
And eventually winning the World Series.
Along the way, winning me 600 cold ones.
Which bought a lot of pizza and beer in 1987.
Four years later they were at it again.
Advancing to their second World Series in four years.
Actually second in 26 years.
Third all-time.
With another win, we could be talking dynasty.
The only thing standing in the way were the Atlanta Braves.
A team that was trying to pull off its own worst-to-first.
The World Series was epic.
Going all seven games.
Four of the first six games were decided by one run.
Game 7 was destined to be a classic.
The only problem is game 7 was also destined to be at the same exact time I was flying from the east coast to the west.
Non-stop.
I think we boarded at the exact same time as the first pitch of the game.
So I saw exactly none of it.
Not one pitch.
No Jet Blue back then.
But the good news is our pilot was nice enough to keep us updated.
“At the end of one inning of game 7 of the World Series, there is no score.”
Two innings, no score.
Five innings, no score.
Seven innings, no score.
Are you kidding me?
Game 7 of the World Series is scoreless through seven innings.
And I’m on a plane.
End of eight innings, no score.
End of nine innings, no score.
UNCLE!!!!!
Enough already.
Somebody make this plane stop.
Somewhere!
The greatest game in the history of baseball.
The first class of our american pastime.
And I’m in coach.
What did I do to deserve this?
Sure enough, three hours and 23 minutes after we took off.
Or pretty close to that.
The pilot came on the loud speaker and informed us.
“The Minnesota Twins just scored a run in the bottom of the 10th inning.”
To win the game.
And the World Series.
1-0.
I’m sure I was excited.
I guess.
But boy did I feel cheated.
Maybe that’s why that game didn’t make my list.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad - I missed almost all of G7 of 1991 WS, too. I covered the Broncos @ Patriots game that day and by the time I got out of the lot and drove back home to CT I caught the 10th - and last inning ONLY. I know it was 1 more inning that you but not by much. Then again when Christian Laettner hit his shot in 1992 to beat Kentucky I was driving North on the 110 in L.A. to a CLIPPERS GAME! Not sure what was worse - missing the game or going to the CLIPPERS GAME!

Sportsnut said...

heard the Laettner shot on the radio driving from Phoenix to LA ... can't believe i missed the greatest college basketball game of all time... thank God for Denver, though... it was the only AM station I could get in Death Valley...