Thursday, January 26, 2012

Writing A Wrong

un·em·ploy·ment   [uhn-em-ploi-muhnt]
noun
1. the state of being unemployed, especially involuntarily

Before I became unemployed.
The first time.
I had no idea what the word meant.
I thought I did.
But I truly had no clue how many different emotions are attached to those four simple syllables.
But the only thing that really matters is reality.
The reality of being unemployed.
Whether that reality is an ego-check.
A financial hardship.
A change in careers.
Or losing the will to exist.
You can’t change reality.
But finding your best way to deal with your reality is the only way to combat this.
The Democrats can blame Bush.
The Republicans can blame Obama.
The Tea Party can blame Coffee.
At this point, blaming is all about the past.
And the present is what matters.
And the present is the reality.
And the reality is that as of a few weeks ago 13.1 million Americans are unemployed.
That’s the good news, I suppose.
Since that 8.5% unemployment rate is down.
Down from 10.0% in October of 2009.
That’s great news.
For the 1.5% who found jobs.
Unemployment is a topic that has captured the attention of nearly everyone in this great country.
And it won’t be going away anytime soon.
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t know anyone who hasn’t been bitten by the unemployment bug.
Do you?
Thanks to Sir Bacon, I have met some amazing people who have shared their stories with me.

Inspiring stories.

Sad stories.

Sometimes just stories.

A few days ago I was contacted by Lillian Swift.
She’s a creative writer from Northern Arizona University. 
“An aspiring writer who specializes in writing about community issues.”
Lillian asked if she could be a guest writer on my site.

The answer was YES!
Please CLICK HERE to read Lillian’s article.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir Bacon

wondering how your job search is going

Anonymous said...

Lillian - good job. Very thoughtful and well written. Keep up the good work here