Monday, April 25, 2011

Who Are You?

The first thing I do every morning when I get up is check my iPhone.
Check for new emails.
Check for new text messages.
And check to see who has been reading my blog.
Yes, you are allowed to mumble “you pathetic soul”.
But the truth shall set me free.
The addiction to follow who is following me started about a year ago.
That’s when I added this software to my website called sitemeter.
No, this is not a commercial, but I do love their product.
Basically sitemeter lets me check how many people are reading my blog at any given time.
And how long they’ve been reading.
And what site referred them to me.
And in many cases where they are from.
Don’t worry, I have no idea exactly who you are.
But often times there is an IP address listed so I can tell what part of the world you are from.
Now if you are worried about Sir Bacon being aware of who you are.
Or where you are.
Or what you are.
Don’t be.
Not only am I a nice person, but I’m not that bright.
But you should definitely be aware that this software (and probably hundreds like it) is out there.
And who knows what smart people can do with that info.
Did you see the story the other day about the iPhone?
My beloved iPhone.
Well apparently she doesn’t trust me anymore.
Apparently she’s hired a private investigator to follow me.
Apparently she’s been recording my exact whereabouts.
For the past 10 months.
She must think I live at the grocery store.
Or the post office.
But the story is true.
I read it at wired.com.
They mentioned something about an unencrypted something or other.
And a consolidated.db.
Whatever that is.
But the point here is simple.
Big brother is watching.
And if you don’t like it... too bad.
I guess in this case, I’m sorta like your dumb little brother.
Because I am definitely watching.
But I have no idea what I’m seeing.
I just like looking at the pictures.
I don’t want to read the book.
For example, as I’m writing this blog, there is somebody at sirbacon123.com from Nova Scotia.
(I hope that doesn’t give away too much.)
Well, this person found my blog through Google.
By searching “Abbey Road The Beatles”.
And somehow those four words connected them to my blog on the Fab Four.
From two months ago.
Really.
So all you have to do is search Abbey Road and The Beatles and Sir Bacon pops up?
I’m sure it’s a little more involved than just that.
But still.
I see a lot of the same people reading my blog.
I mean the same IP addresses.
And that feels great.
Thank you.
I love the idea that something I wrote made you come back more than once.
And I love getting emails that you connected with something I wrote.
Even if you didn’t like what I said.
But as much as I love the return customers -- and I really do.
It is oh so cool to see new visitors.
Including someone this morning from New York City.
(I hope I didn’t give away too much.)
Well this person found my blog by typing “unemployed crying tears” on Google.
97 blogs later.
They made my day.
Hopefully I made theirs too.
A few days ago someone read 89 blogs.
There was a 22.
A 33.

A 24.
And each time it makes me smile.
It still blows me away that you found me.

From Hong Kong and Italy and Alabama.

From France, Slovenia and Oklahoma.

And Hawaii and Utah and Brazil.

And I appreciate it.

Every time.

But I always wonder how you found me.

And who you are.

If you feel so inclined, leave a comment.
Or send me an email (sirbacon123.@yahoo.com).

Or tweet me.

Or do nothing.

The choice is yours.
No matter what... keep reading.
And THANK YOU!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you through Business Insider!
I think you are wasting your talents lately. For starters, try becoming a standup comic at your local restaurants. Who knows? You may be the next Seinfield!

Spend atleast a few hours with your Mom everyday.

Channon said...

Love the blog and continue to root for you!

Anonymous said...

I follow along because I have to. I do it so you can keep making the Zillion dollars you get paid to do this, right?