Monday, August 23, 2010

A Blog About Nothing

Last Friday night, me and my new peeps went out for a drink after work.
Lets just say it ended up being a few more than just one.
But it sure made for some good quality bonding time.
As the new guy, I made triple sure that I was NOT the life of the party.
So I did my best to just sit there and listen and drop in a one-liner from time-to-time.
At the end of the night/morning, they had learned just a little about me and I had learned just a little more than a little about them.
Mission accomplished.
Perhaps the biggest nugget I uncovered was that my new boss is a Seinfeld fanatic.
Like me.
And like me, he says he can quote the show about nothing, like nothing.
As I grow more comfortable (and secure) in the new job, I might just have to test that a little bit.
I might just bring up the time that Frank Costanza attacked Mr. Steinbrenner about trading Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps.
And I might just ask if he is an importer or an exporter.
And I might just ask if he liked the English Patient.
Or made out at Schindler’s List.
Or if he preferred Rochelle Rochelle as a movie or a musical.
And I might just see if he wants to be my latex salesman.
I probably won’t ask if he is the master of his own domain.
Until the next time we go out for drinks.
As it turned out, the show about nothing was a whole lot more than nothing.
I hope someday I can say the same about this new blog.
But at the moment, I’m kinda struggling.
When I decided to write a blog on my journey through unemployment, it was a pretty simple project.
I sat down at the computer, wrote what was on my mind and hit publish.
Simple.
Because of the subject matter and the spirit of the letter, I think people really connected with it.
I know I connected with it.
Now that the message of the blog has changed, I have hit a little bit of writer’s block.
I still LOVE writing and I’m going to continue to write, but sometimes I just don’t know what to say.
In the words of Seinfeld, I am speechless.   
I am without speech.
As someone who is living thousands of miles away from his family, I think there is something interesting here.  
Actually, I know there is something interesting here.
But at the moment, I just don’t know what it is.
I found it interesting that the place I am staying at has water pressure so low, it feels like I am showering at the 4077th.
I even came up with the line, “but the only Hot Lips around here were from the spicy food I had last night”.
Somewhere in this blogosphere, some 70’s sitcom nut is  doubling over in laughter.
I have made other observations too.
I found it interesting that I went into a Dunkin’ Donuts and there was a sign that said “CPR Equipment is in the back.”
It could be time for the decaf.
And I found it interesting that I saw a pizza delivery guy pulled over by the police for speeding.
So much for making it in 30 minutes or less.
And I found it interesting that when I packed my two suitcases for the big trip, one bag weighed 47 pounds and the other was 43.
My entire life weighed just 90 pounds.   
And I found it interesting that when I told my neighbor I was moving cross country, he thought my wife and I were getting a divorce.
Sign of the times I suppose.
And I found it interesting that on a train ride last weekend, I sat next to a real celebrity.
Ms. Yenta, 1948.
By the time I got off the train, she knew everything about me but my social security number.
I found all of those moments to be interesting and some of them even made me laugh.
But how in the world could I turn them into a blog.
It would be a blog about, nothing.
Hey, it worked for Jerry.

No comments: