Monday, August 16, 2010

Half Full, Very Empty


Boy does it feel good to be back at the computer.
In the last week, I barely had time to write a grocery list.
I certainly didn’t have time to write a blog.
For those of you joining me in progress…
…I was told in December of 2008 that my services were no longer needed.   Last week, I became employed again.
Now you are caught up.
Editor’s Note:
If you want a little more (or a lot more) of the story, look to the right and click on “My Journey Through Unemployment”.  It will keep you busy for eight months.  It did it for me.
When I started writing the blog, I wanted to take you into the world of a real person, with a real family going through a real life-changing situation.
143 blogs later, here were are.
Clearly, my story is far from unique, but whether it was my subtle references to some of the 80′s one-hit wonders or just my willingness to speak my mind, people connected.
The response was 574 miles past incredible.
Now that I am headed back into the working world, the “Journey Through Unemployment” doesn’t work so well.
And that’s a good thing.   Actually, a GREAT thing.
But I’m still going to write.
Anne Marie, my good friend from Quebec, wouldn’t have it any other way.
In fact, I have decided to write all about my new life.
Well, sorta.
Like the last blog, I won’t get too specific about my job or where I’m living, but rather, I will be telling the real stories of my real life.
A life that has taken quite a twist in the last few weeks.
And especially in the last day.
I woke up yesterday morning in my own bed, at home, with my wife and three kids.
I went to bed last night in my OWN bed, by myself, on the other side of the country.
Away from my wife.
Away from my 13-year old daughter.
Away from my 11-year old son.
Away from my six-year old daughter.
Away from my dog.
Away from everyone.
But employed.  Again.
And that’s a GREAT thing.
But it’s not perfect.
For the next ___ months, I will be living on my own, thousands of miles away from my family.
For me, there will be no school functions.  No dance contests.  No games.  No meals together.  No bedtime stories.
No family.
Just a long distance dedication, without Casey Kasem.
As hard as this may be, leaving the family and taking the job was a very easy decision.
Not exactly Sophie’s Choice, but it was still sad.
Don’t get me wrong, the sacrifice we are making is NOTHING compared to what the incredibly brave members of our military and their families do every day.
I am making no comparisons, I am merely talking about my situation.
And my life yesterday was more bittersweet than dark chocolate.
On one hand I'm walking away from the family I've been part of for nearly two years.
Sure, I was part of the family before that, but being at home 24/7/365 since I got the ax has given me time to rebuild relationships that the hours of my last job had destroyed.
On the other hand, I'm leaving that family for a job that will hopefully ignite my career and give us all a new start.
The plan is for my wife to stay where she is, sell the home, keep her job and let the kids finish the school year (which just started).
Then we will reunite like Peaches and Herb.
At least, that’s the plan.

No comments: