Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stroke of Genius

Back in the day.
I had a career.
And in that career I managed people.
People with talent.
People with brains.
People with feelings.
Human people.
Each day those human people showed me their talent.
On more than many occasions they showed me their feelings.
I had an office.
My office had a door.
And that door was always open.
Well, not literally.
Sometimes I closed it.
Like when my people wanted to talk.
And I didn't want everyone to know our business.
Or their business.
There were a lot of reasons why that door would close.
Fantasy Basketball.
Fantasy Football.
Fantasy Baseball.
And sometimes, just sometimes, that door closed because of reality.
The reality of real life.
Those real stories were a little overwhelming at times.
Like the time one employee told me he had an extra-marital affair.
And he needed to work days, instead of nights, to help save his marriage.
They didn’t teach me how to deal with that one at journalism school.
Or the time an employee informed me she just had a miscarriage.
And she needed time off.
Or the time an employee was involved in an argument with another employee.
And instead of blaming the other person.
He cried.
In my office.
With the door closed.
He said he had failed me.
He said I had given him the chance to be in that position.

And he should’ve handled it differently.
And he cried again.
And gave me a hug.
I had no training for that situation either.
Some managers might've thought less of their peeps for showing some vulnerability.
Vulnerability - great scrabble word.
For me I always appreciated my employees -- my friends -- for letting me into their life.
I rarely had the right answer.
I just went with my heart.
And I thought I did ok.
Since that fateful day in October of 2008 - when 29 of those good people were let go.
With no warning.
I have lost contact with many of them.
No reason.
No reason I can think of.
It just happens I guess.
I do still talk to some of my people.
And those people still talk to some of their people.
So I'm still up on all the scoops.
Well, most of them.
When one of my friends called me on Sunday.
Out of the blue.
I had a feeling I'd get some new 411.
But I didn't expect this.
This news was about one of our colleagues.
One of our former colleagues.

A former colleague who has found a new job.

A job that keeps him on the road.

Away from his family.

Way too much.
Well during his most recent trip something went wrong.
Very wrong.
Apparently my friend had a blood clot.
In his head.
That he wasn’t aware of.
And that blood clot triggered a stroke.

An ischemic stroke.

It's when a clot blocks the blood/oxygen from reaching the brain.

I just learned that.

Nobody saw it coming.
And why would we.
My friend is 40.
Doesn’t drink.
Much.
Doesn’t smoke.
At all.
He’s in great shape.
Was in great shape.
Until now.
Fortunately, the stroke was “minor”.
If that’s possible.
And very fortunately he is able to get up and walk around.
Without much trouble.
He’s got strength in his arms.  

And strength in his spirit.
Unfortunately he is having problems with his speech.
But the doctors are hopeful that he will be ok.
Eventually.
If not sooner.
He's still in the hospital.
1000 miles away from his bed.
And his home.
But his family is now at his side.
And his wife sounds as optimistic as any human could be.
Now it’s just a matter of waiting.
And being patient.
And positive.
And looking forward to better days.

And better news.






2 comments:

Sheba Marx said...

Sad. Sounds like he got medical care right away. That can make all the difference with a stroke. I used to manage folks too and found I "counseled" more on personal problems than work-related. Wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

Great entry - full of compassion and caring. Sadly - 2 things missing these days from companies - most of which should be working in the San Fernando Valley the way they "bend people over and........(you know the rest)". Your "problem" is you have class - and these days no one wants that - they want heartless robots devoid of emotion and feelings