Saturday, October 8, 2011

Committed to Excellence


The NFL lost a legend today.
The Oakland Raiders lost an owner.
I lost a piece of my life.
Al Davis, who led the Raiders through good.

And into bad.

Passed away this morning.
I’m not sure exactly when my dad first met Al Davis.
But they first worked together in 1966 when Mr. Davis was the Commissioner of the AFL.
Over the years they remained close friends.
And when the Raiders moved to Los Angeles in 1982, Davis brought my dad in to work for the team.
That was quite the move for my dad.
As he was working for the New York Yankees at the time.
Steinbrenner to Davis.
Frying Pan to Fryer.
Both owners had quite a bit in common.
They both LOVED winning.
Both HATED losing.
And both were born on the 4th of July.
One year apart.
Davis was older.
There was a lot that people thought they knew about these two men.
But my dad lived it.
And I think he genuinely loved almost every minute of it.
He certainly loved being part of a World Series team in 1981.
And a Super Bowl team in 1983.
I have the rings to prove it.
But neither one of those moments would’ve happened without the owner.
What made Al Davis different is that he was not just the man in charge of the team.
He was the man in charge.
Off the field and on it.
At the age of 33, the Raiders hired Davis to become their head coach and general manager.
With that, he became the youngest person in professional football history to hold those two positions.
Now there are plenty of bosses, in every business, who think they know everything.
But Al did.
He became the principal owner of the Raiders in 1972 and held that position.
Until 7:44 this morning.
Under Davis, the team won three Super Bowls.
That’s the stuff the people know.
Or the stuff you can read at wikipedia.
But thanks to my dad, I was brought into a world of Al Davis that most people never knew.
Some of it Raiders related.
Some not.
For example, when the Raiders moved to LA, they put a bunch of posters on the side of city buses.
The posters had catch phrases.
Like “Commitment to Excellence.”
Or “Pride and Poise.”
Or something catchy like that.
But no phone number.
When my dad asked his boss why that was he said, “if we win they will find us.”
I guess it was his version of “if you build it, he will come.”
Or a pre-cursor to “just win baby.”
The words that Davis uttered when we won our last Super Bowl in 1984.
The moniker that will be Davis’ legacy.
Al Davis was a very public figure, but he lived a plenty private life too.
One thing people may not know about the Raiders owner is that he was Jewish.
Like my dad.
Maybe that’s why they got along so well.
I’m sure Al did his fair share of praying in private.
But when it came to the holiest of the Jewish High Holidays, he did his praying with us.
At a tiny orthodox synagogue in the heart of LA’s most Jewish neighborhood.
A black town car would pull up to the front of the temple at the beginning of the service.
And a man would come out of the back seat and strut into the building.
That man was Al Davis.
Inside the building there were no more than 200 people. 
More than half of which were men.
Old Jewish men.
These old Jewish men had no idea who Al Davis was.
No idea who the Raiders were.
And no idea what they were missing.
But they knew he was special. 
They just didn’t know how special.
He would always sit in the front row.
Do his own praying.
Presumably for a Raiders win.
Shake a few hands.
And get back in his town car.
Until the next holiday.
There is certainly a hidden irony here for me that the passing of Al Davis came on October 8, 2011.
The same day as Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement.
The holiest day of the Jewish year.
I’m not sure exactly how religious Al Davis was.
But there is no doubt he was looking for any advantage he could get.
I always knew he respected my dad.
But I didn’t know just how much until the early morning of June 30, 2002.
That’s when I picked up the phone and called Mr. Davis at home.
I informed him that my dad died.
Suddenly.
From a massive heart attack.
The only thing I could hear on the other end of the line was crying.
“No. No. No.”
It’s a moment I will never forget.
Unfortunately I had to share this terrible news with many people.

But nobody reacted the way that Al Davis did.
We spoke for what felt like forever.
Even though it was probably closer to ten minutes.
And he ended by saying if there is anything you need, let me know.
It was a nice offer, but I didn’t expect it to go anywhere.

I was wrong.
A few weeks later I got a call from a high ranking person in the Raiders organization.
He said they wanted to talk to me about a job.
I wasn’t sure what kind of job they were talking about.
But they flew me up to Oakland and interviewed me.
Even after the interview, I still wasn’t sure what kind of job they were talking about.
In hindsight, I’m not sure there really was a job.
But Mr. Davis was just trying to do whatever he could.
He wasn’t done there. 
There was an amazing memorial service for my dad, attended by more than 500 people.
Including Mr. Davis.
Paid for by Mr. Davis.
All of it.
I’m not sure he wanted anybody to know that.
So I didn’t say anything.
Until now.
I hope that’s ok.
Mr. Davis spoke at the service and shared stories about my dad (and me) that entertained the crowd.
And eased the pain of our loss.
That was the last day that Mr. Davis and I spoke.
I still watch every Raiders game.
Religiously.
And I have passed on my undying love for the Raiders to my son.
Just as Al Davis is passing on the ownership of the Raiders to his son.
RIP Mr. Davis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I remember Mr Davis at your Dad's memorial service. I think I shared this w you but after I was replaced on MNF, He offered me a job on the Raiders broadcast. He was one of a kind.
Lisa G

Anonymous said...

As someone who was also at your father's service I am grateful for what Al Davis did and as a diehard fan of another team in the AFC West I dislike the Raiders more than just about any team out there and say nice things about Al and the Raiders as often as the Sun rises in the West and sets in the East. But there is no mistaking the impact Al Davis made on the NFL. The NFL as we know it today wouldn't be the same if not for the AFL/NFL merger - a merger that probably doesn't happen without Al. Those under 40 probably only know Al Davis as a seemingly senile old man who insisted on doing things his way even though his way lately might not have been the best way. Those who know the NFL know that Al Davis, was brilliant and in his days, 3 steps ahead and smarter than everyone else. Fans of the other 31 NFL teams owe a sincere debt of gratitude to Al for all he did to make the NFL the 20,000 pound elephant in the room it is today.