Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Friend In Need...

I spent one of my final nights in New York walking around Times Square.
Smoking a cigar.
And talking to my friend David on the phone.
No, not that David.
Another David.
We spoke for two-hours, thirty minutes and 29 seconds.

Really.  I wrote it down.
Thankfully it was after 9:01, so I didn’t get charged for the minutes.
We talked about all of the usual subjects.
Life.
The death of my career.
The Cleveland Indians.
David loves the Indians.
And my mom is from Cleveland.
So we always talk about the Indians.
David and I went to college together.
Actually, both Davids and I went to college together.
And there was another David too.
But stick with me here.
This David and I not only went to school together, but we ended up working together too.
Three different times.
And there’s a good reason.
He is great at what he does.
And I needed someone great around me to make me better.
So in the fall of 2005, when I got relocated (and promoted), I talked to David about joining me.
To make a dynamic duo.
And for the next four years, it was a dream.
On paper, I was his boss.
But in reality, we were a team.
Like Batman and Robin.
Starsky and Hutch.
Loggins and Messina.
What I really liked about it -- especially as a manager -- was I could tell David anything.
Straight to the point.
No sugar coating necessary.
Not only was he loyal to me.
He was loyal to what we both believed in.
And that made for the perfect arrangement.
Say it once and it got done.
Well, sometimes twice.
I might’ve had the office, with the door.
And the window.
But I got nothing done without him.
Nothing!
Until the day he was told his job was no longer needed.
Actually, his job and about 29 others.
The entire department was wiped out with the touch of one merger.
Our entire department.
Poof.
Gone.
With no notice.

Classy.
Neither one of us saw it coming.
The good people who organized this execution knew how close I was with David and the group.
So they told me nothing.
After that job went south, David went south.
Moving his family to the next job.
In the next city.
And for David, that meant moving his wife and five-year old twins.
And his mom.
As part of his new job, David got a bigger title.
And a smaller paycheck.
So to make things work, David’s mom moved in.
Each month she gave them a little somethin somethin.
They gave her an all-access pass to her grandchildren.
Such a deal.
Being around two young kids was nothing new to her.
She raised two boys.
On her own.
She was a single mom before it became trendy.
But life is different as a grandmother.
Or so I am told.
And she treasured every single day.
I haven’t been around David and his family since they left town, but we still talk all the time.
Of course we talk about the Indians.
But we also talk about the time we shared together here.
And there was a lot of time.

Work.
Weekends.
Carpool.
Our families lived just miles apart and we took full advantage of that.
And whenever she was available, David’s mom was always part of the plan.
In fact, my kids even called her Grandma Rhoda.
A few weeks ago I got a call from David that his mom had been diagnosed with cancer.
But thankfully they caught it early enough, he said.
He told me how the doctors were going to deal with it.
And how she was going to move on with the rest of her life. 
In fact this week, she had just started chemotherapy.
But something just wasn’t right.
And yesterday at around one in the morning, Rhoda got up.
And David was there to help her.
Like a good son.
Like David.
He told me when he helped her back to bed, he gave her a kiss.
And told her that he loved her.
As he had thousands of times before that.
With no idea this would be the last time.
When he woke up in the morning to check on her, she had passed away.
No sign.
No pain.
No way to see it coming.
Just like my dad.
And when David called me to share the heartbreaking news, that’s what we talked about.
David wanted to know how I coped.
And what I did.
And what he could expect.
And I did my best to tell him.

And offer support.
I tried.
But I really wish this call would've been all about the Indians.


Rest In Peace Grandma Rhoda.
You made us all smile.

3 comments:

Big Daddy J said...

Sorry about your loss David. Thoughts & prayers...

js

Anonymous said...

I have had the pleasure of knowing THIS David for some time and EVERYTHING said here about him is 100% true. He is as great and trustworthy and loyal as it gets - even though he once pulled a chair out from under me when we were working together while watching the 1990 AFC Championship Game between my Broncos and his Browns because I was a tad too obnoxious over my team's win in the game.

I am so sorry to hear this!

Sheba Marx said...

Sorry to hear about Grandma Rhoda. Sadness upon sadness, but may we lighten our loads with humor. Thanks for commenting on my blog, unemployedmarx.blogspot.com
Sorry you are in a such a state too. Take it easy on yourself.