Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Irish Eyes Not Smiling


I’m going to test the theory that writing this blog makes me feel better.
It has definitely worked in the past.
Many times.
But right about now, I’m ready to cry.
I wish it had something to do with something important.
But it doesn’t.
Well, it’s important to me.
But I don’t believe Notre Dame Football has anything to do with world peace.
Or world hunger.
Or anything in this world that really matters.
But to me, Notre Dame football feels like life and death.
And right now I am dead.
Saturday night we... they... suffered THE most heartbreaking loss.
Well, THE most heartbreaking loss.
Since last week.
I’m sure I’ll get over this.
Like I got over last week.
I’ll get over this.
Like I’ve gotten over the 26 times we’ve lost since 2007.
I’ll get over this.
Just in time to let the Oakland Raiders break the rest of my heart on Monday.
I guess that’s what being a true fan is all about.
Unfortunately there’s been way more agonies of defeat.
Than thrills of victory.
The most recent example was Saturday night against Michigan.

My son and I tapped our "Play Like A Champion" sign.

Headed down to the basement.

And invested nearly four hours of our life watching the Irish lose another game.
This time in the final two seconds.
I have spent the last 45 minutes reminding myself.
“It doesn’t really matter”.
And...
“It’s only a game”.
And it really doesn’t take much to see that both of those statements are very true.
Especially on the eve of the anniversary of the worst day this country has ever seen.
But the sickening feeling in my stomach won’t listen.
I’ll spare you the details of the game.
But just summarize.
We were leading.
We were leading.
We were leading.
They took the lead with a minute left.
We took the lead with 30 seconds left.
They won with two seconds left.
Game over.
I realize there a billion Chinese that have never heard of the Irish.
And most of them have never heard of Notre Dame either.
But I’m not Chinese.
I’m Jewish.
And Jews love Catholics.
Well this Jew loves those Catholics.
The ones that wear green and gold every Saturday in the fall.
I’ve been an Irish fan since I was nine.
I’ve told the story before.
But since this is my blog, I’ll tell it again.
Ok, I’ll make it quick.
When I was nine, there were two things on TV on Sunday mornings.
Church shows.
And Notre Dame replay.
Guess which one I picked.
Since 1976 I’ve been living and dying with the Golden Domers.
There was quite a bit of living in the late 70’s.
And most of the 80’s.
But the last 15 years have sucked out loud.
Sure we’ve had some decent records.
And some big wins.
And some good players.
But dammit we are Catholic.
And Catholics are supposed to win all the time!
Doesn’t it say that somewhere in First Corinthians?
Unfortunately no matter how bad the heartbreak is.
And continues to be.
You can bet your bible that I’ll be sitting in front of the tube next Saturday.
When Michigan State rips out what’s left of my insides.
You would think by now I would know how to deal with this.
But I don’t.
Just say the name Pete Bercich.
And I will start crying.
Guaranteed.
And that was 18 years ago.
Long miserable story short.
November 20, 1993.
Notre Dame ranked #1 in the country.
On its way to a(nother) National Championship.
Facing the “other” Catholics.
From Boston College.
One minute left.
Bercich lets a game-ending interception go through his hands.
Like those hands were made of butter.
Or stone.

Stone butter.

Whatever.
Yada yada yada.
We lost that game.
On the final play.
And lost our chance at a title.
Since that day, Notre Dame has not been the same.
Winning just 115 of the next 200 games.
Now that would be great record for a school like Tulsa.
Or Pittsburgh.  Or Syracuse.  Or North Carolina.
Or South Florida.  Or Connecticut.
Or Navy.  Or Air Force.
All schools who have defeated the once great Notre Dame in the last five years.
Hell, I think we’ve lost to every branch of the Armed Forces except the Coast Guard.
Well I’m 706 words in.
And I still don’t feel better.
There goes that theory.


Hey, I could've been a Cubs fan.
Go Irish!



2 comments:

realonedet said...

wow, your words do leave quite an impression, but since i hate notre dame like no other sports team, today was like xmas,

Oh, and prepare to go "0 for Michigan" again this year because Sparty will put the beat down on as well, guess it sucks to be a leprechaun!

Anonymous said...

I hate Notre Dame, too. But in Sept 2009 I went to see a game there. OMFG - it was AWESOME! All ND Haters out there - if you love CFB - you gotta go to a ND Home Game @ South bend! GOTTA! Sir Bacon I feel your pain. I have been a L.A. Kings' fan for close to 40 years and all I have to show for it is an Illegal Stick in Game 2 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. At least you have won something in your lifetime with the Irish.