Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Breaking the News


There’s a reason why the late Walter Cronkite is a legend.
Well there’s a lot of reasons.
But perhaps the main reason is for like 120 years, he was the only game in town.
Ok, there were three games.
NBC, ABC and Cronkite’s CBS.
But back in the day if you wanted the news, Walter was it.
Only you had to wait until 6:30pm.
5:30 Central.
That’s the way it was.
None of this round-the-clock, graphic-on-top-of-graphic breaking news.
Just the news.
Real news.
Now I watch as much TV as the next guy.
And when it comes to the news these days.
I love the live police car chase.
And the up-to-the-second trips to the weather center.
And those real-time sports scores.
Forget about it.

I’ve never really been a newspaper fanatic.
Unless it came to sports.
Funny story.
I was in my early teens.
We had a visitor staying at the house.
I asked if he wanted to see the morning paper.
When he said yes, I brought him the sports section.
I was shocked -- if not appalled -- when he asked where the rest of the paper was.
"What else is there?, " I thought.

To myself.
Back then, nothing was better than getting your hands black and messy from the ink of the box scores.
Of course the internet has changed all that.
For the better.
Anything you want.
Up-to-the-millisecond.
With a few clicks.
Ichiro career at bats as a pinch-hitter?
11.
Hits.
1.
Tom Brady wins in the snow, ice or below-freezing temps?
18.
Losses.
2.
LeBron James NBA Championships?
Zero.
Ha ha ha ha ha.
I didn’t need the internet for that.
But I do use the web for my news.
And these days, there’s one place I always start.
twitter.
It’s amazing what you can learn in 140 characters.
Or less.
Thanks to twitter I found out about the big east coast earthquake within seconds after it happened.
There were like a billion tweets before the world stopped shaking.
Ok, most of them were jokes.
And many of them were funny.
But I didn’t need Wolf Blitzer to tell me what was going on.
I just needed my iPhone.
Just today I was thumbing through my twitter app.
When I saw a tweet from @Denise_Richards.
She’s the one who escaped from Charlie Sheen Island.
I follow her.
With 2.1 million others.
Her tweet said:
EXTREMELY URGENT: #IN Shelter closing, all animals not adopted by 9/30 to be killed; pls RT http://hspcanimals.org/
Now I love dogs.
We have two.
And its a good thing we don’t live in Indiana.
Or we might now have three.
Or four.
But thankfully the word spread so quickly.
Within two hours all the animals were gone.
In the good way.
The thing about twitter is you can’t blink for a second or you might miss something important.
Like some @perezhilton gossip.
Or a restaurant update from @KevinsBBQJoints.
Or a great one liner from @DannyZuker.
Or something REALLY important from @ChristineCSE.
She, a self-proclaimed...
“bleeding heart liberal and sacred cow tipper who loves her leopard kitteh and wasted oodles of time engaging in economic wonkery.”
I’m one of her 79 followers.
Just an hour after Denise saved an animal shelter, Christine went on a quest of her own.
Tweeps - please write the GA Pardons & Paroles Board, tell them there is #toomuchdoubt to execute Troy Davis next week http://bit.ly/nkRC5R
I must admit when I read this I had never heard of Troy Davis.
Or this case.
But I have now.
Long story short.
Davis was convicted in 1991 of killing an off-duty police officer two years earlier.
He is scheduled to be executed in Georgia next Wednesday.
However.
Seven of the nine original witnesses have since recanted their statements.
And.
There has never been DNA evidence linking Davis to the crime.
And.
The murder weapon was never recovered. 
Hmmmmmm.
Davis’ execution has been postponed three times before.
The appeals have gone as far as the U.S. Supreme Court.
Former President Jimmy Carter has spoken out against the execution.
So has Pope Benedict XVI, SVU.
Now I certainly have no idea if Troy Davis committed this crime.
And based on what I’ve read the last few hours, I’m not sure if anyone does.
I’m guessing if Walter Cronkite was still doing the news.
He would’ve covered this story.
At 6:30pm.
But thanks to twitter -- and @ChristineCSE -- I was able to learn about this story.
Maybe before its too late.



No comments: