Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Not So Silent Night

Every so often I run across a new creation and I slap my head like its a V8 commercial.
WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT???????
That happens EVERY time I go by a fantasy sports website.
Or listen to the words from a Katy Perry song.
Or drive by a Starbucks.
Damn Starbucks.
Well, it’s happened again.
And again.
Every Tuesday night.
It’s called Glee.
Just imagine if Grease had a baby with American Idol.
That’s Glee.
If you haven’t seen it, shame on you.
It has everything you would ever want in a show.
At least everything I would ever want in a show.
It is the greatest show of all-time.
At least the greatest show of this time.
This week.
Sure some of the characters are a little cliche.
A little predictable.
A little page 19 of the stereotype handbook.
But the creators of Glee have all the food groups covered.
Gay kid.  Jock.  Wheelchair.  Black girl.  Hot girl.
I clearly haven’t watched the show closely enough, but I imagine there is a Jew or two in there as well.
Actually, I haven’t watched the show much at all.
I’m guessing it is in the 2nd or 3rd season at this point and I’ve only seen two or three episodes.
But my oldest daughter is addicted.
As is my friend Rick.
And since Rick is old enough to be my daughter’s father, I figured it was good enough for me.
So now we watch it every week.
And as my family sits there singing the songs, I sit there thinking how rich we would be if I would’ve come up with the idea for this damn show.
Doh.
Singing is big in my family.
I do it.
My wife tries to do it.
My son would like to do it.
My oldest daughter refuses to do it.
And my youngest daughter loves doing it.
The Osmonds have nothing on us.
My wife and I have helped the kids find something they are passionate about.
And then we encourage them to do it SO much they are destined to hate it.
Ok, just kidding.   I think.
My oldest daughter is the dancer.   
My son is the baseball player.
And now child #3 is a singer.
Officially.
She loves soccer and softball... and reading, but she’s definitely the entertainer in the family.
So we signed her up for the local choir.
Not a church choir or school choir, this is the real deal.
Practice twice a week.   Payment once a month.
This singing school actually teaches the kids how to read music AND how to sing.
A few days ago this choir held its 21st Annual Winter Shindig.
In all there were 204 kids on the stage and more than a thousand people in the stands.
They broke the kids up into several age-specific groups and each group performed several songs.
I’m not sure if it was the father in me or the singer in me, but I loved every second of it.
When I was her age I sang in the Synagogue Choir.
That was a big deal.
Then.
Every Jewish New Year they would give me the solo.
About midway through the endless service, I would belt out a few words in Hebrew that I had no idea what they meant.
Then, as a form of appreciation, the old men in the audience would pinch my pudgy cheeks and squeeze my right hand until the blood stopped.
I would’ve preferred a little coin.
But hey, they loved me, they really loved me.
My daughter’s performance was a lot more official than anything I was ever part of.
There was a maestro.
And a pianist.
And a fluterist.
And for one song they had a glockenspielski.
Good thing this wasn’t a spelling bee.
The concert must’ve run close to two hours as the kids performed 22 songs.
My wife secured seats in the fifth or sixth row so that my daughter could be distracted by us.
When she came on stage she scratched her nose to say hello.
Waiving might’ve got her kicked out of the choir.
Then she stood front and center, singing three songs and spreading Christmas cheer for more than ten minutes.
And this was no generic Christmas cheer either.
There was no “Grandma got run over by a reindeer” or “I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus”.
This was the real stuff.
“Snow is falling still”.
And “Sleep, my child”.
And “A Winter Carol”.
Three songs I had never heard of.
And they had never sounded so beautiful.
So good in fact, I almost pinched my daughter’s cheeks.
There's always next year.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Glee! Best show ever! Have you heard "Teenage Dream" by them? And yes, there are 2 Jews in there. :)