Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mission Accomplished


It wasn’t quite like inviting a Red Sox fan to Yankee Stadium.
Or Michele Bachmann to an ACLU convention.
But I got quite the invite on Thursday night.
Let me take a step back.
So there we were.
At a neighborhood gathering.
When one of the dads came up to me.
I've known this dad for about five years.
And we’ve spoken many times.
About life.
Parenthood.
Bob Dylan.
Religion.
Not necessarily in that order.
Sometimes we've even mixed two of those ingredients.
Like the time I sang him the lyrics to Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited:
Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"
God says. "Out on Highway 61".
We both love that song.
For different reasons.
I love Dylan.
He loves the Bible.
I love the band Genesis.
He loves the book of Genesis.
Hey whatever works.
He is what I would call a VERY religious man.
Notice the CAPS.
His choice of religion is Christianity.
Now just in case the CAPS didn’t convince you.
Here’s some backup.
Every Sunday morning he teaches a class.
A Bible class.
Attended by about 500 people.
Sold yet?
Well he is well aware of my Jewish heritage.
And my Korean Catholic wife.
And he is also aware that we have taken the fifth when it comes to raising our kids under a certain religion.
What's the rush -- my oldest daughter is only 14.
Now growing up I went to synagogue every Saturday.
Went.
Past tense.
I don't go anymore.
In fact, the last time I was in a house of worship was April 15, 2009.
It was the L.A. Sports Arena.
For a Bruce Springsteen concert.
Now don't get me wrong.
I believe in God.
And I love religion.
Or at least the idea of religion.
Any religion.
As long as it works for you.
But it really caught me off guard when my friend threw this proposal at me: 
“What do you think about coming to our church sometime?”
Say what?
Considering the time and the place of the question, it came more out of left field than Matt Holliday.
Now before my sarcasm leaves you with the wrong impression.
Let me say that not only did I truly respect what he was saying.
But I honestly appreciated the thought.
Now I'm not big on being preached to.
None of us are.
But I think waiting five plus years to ask that question.
A question he probably wanted to ask on day 1.
I think he waited long enough.
But still the question caught me way off guard.
Did he just ask a Jewish guy to join a Christian church?
At a BBQ?
By God he did.
No pun intended.
But I took a deep breath.
Gathered my thoughts.
And fumbled my way through the answer.
Like I was Wendell Tyler.
I certainly didn’t want to come off as being disrespectful.
And while attending a church is not important to me.
It is to him.

So I said things like.
“My wife and I have never really put a major emphasis on any one religion in our house.”
Duh?
“And we approach faith from a different perspective.”
Whatever that means.
“And I don’t think that’s for us right now.”
Oh, that was a good one.
Based on my brilliant answers, I think he got the idea that his offer was one I could refuse.
At least for now.
He made one last ditch effort.
Saying that not only could I bring my own Starbucks into the church.
But there is actually a Starbucks in their church.
Now he’s getting dirty.
He really knows that straight line to my heart.
But somehow I resisted the offer.
For now.
But it definitely made me think.
And maybe just for that reason, asking the question served its purpose.

For now.



No comments: