Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Barker's Dozen

You may find this hard to believe.
But not everything you see in the movies is true.
For example...
Indiana Jones, scared of snakes.
Harrison Ford, not scared of snakes.
Gary Sinise, has both his legs.
Lieutenant Dan, not so much.
Sandy, hot.
Olivia Newton-John, hot.
Ok, that one was true.
Now I’ve worked in TV for all of my adult life, so I know a couple tricks of the trade.
But I certainly don’t know it all.
I was reminded of that nearly 14 years ago.
That’s when my wife went into labor for the first time, with our first child.
Now my mom and dad had no brothers and no sisters.
So I grew up with no real nieces or nephews.
And that meant no babies.
And no experience with pregnancy.
Sure my wife and I took all of the classes.
Hee Hee.  Ha Ha.
But I had no idea what really happens when labor kicks in.
Dr. Huxtable can only teach you so much.
So through the magic of real life, I learned that unlike General Hospital, labor actually takes longer than 12 minutes.
And there is no commercial break in the middle of it.
Who knew?
In the case of my daughter it took more than 12 hours.
Of course it was all worth it in the end when the good doctor handed us our little girl.
Then again, I wasn’t the one in serious pain for more than half a day.
I did a quick google search to see how long the longest labor has been.
And I wasn’t able to get an official answer.
But I did see that one very unfortunate woman said she was in labor for 52 hours.
Ouch.
Of course, I have absolutely no idea how she felt.
But Bella does.
We just got word from the in-laws that after months of waiting.
And days of pacing.
Bella is finally a mom.

She and Dino decided to start a family a few months ago.
Well, it was probably Dino’s decision.

I’m not sure if they are legally married.
But these days, does it really matter?
My father-in-law has been anxiously awaiting the arrival of Bella’s babies for several days.
And Sunday she delivered.
The first call informed us that Bella and Dino were proud parents.

Of four puppies.

Bella and Dino are German Shepherds.
We were all excited.
But selfishly, I was thrilled.
You see, I’ve been hoping to get a second dog for quite a while.
And since my in-laws have three children, including my wife.
And since they now had four puppies.
I liked our chances of getting one of the dogs.
But Bella, that little overachiever, wasn’t done there.
A few hours later, the phone rang again.
Puppy #7 had just arrived.
All black.  All adorable.
Just last week they had taken Bella to the vet to make sure she was doing alright.
The doggie doctor said there were at least four puppies on the way.
Possibly more.
At last check, seven is more than four.
By this point, Bella was about 12 hours into the process.
She had to be beat.
I know my in-laws were.
In fact, they had switched to the zone defense so that at least one person could get some shut eye.
1000 miles away, I slept just fine.
When we woke up the next morning, the news had changed.
Again.
Bella had reached double digits.
Ten puppies.
This cute little thing had taken on an entirely different level.
By this point, I had a pretty good feeling one of those pups would be making the trek to my house.
Maybe more.
Those feelings got even stronger when puppy #11 was born.
Then #12.
And finally #13.
13 PUPPIES.
That’s not a litter.
That’s a kennel.  
My son found the record for a litter is 24 puppies.
24 Mastiff Puppies, born in the United Kingdom in 2005.
That poor Momma.
Our poor Bella.

Thankfully, she is doing great.

Dino too.
The plan is to keep the babies with mom and dad for the next six weeks or so.
Then our immediate family will increase by one.
Maybe more.






No comments: