Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hardtbreaking

I have been beyond lucky to attend pretty much every sporting event I could've ever hoped for.
Ok, I have not been to Wimbledon.

Or the Kentucky Derby.
Or the Masters.
But aside from that I am good.
Very good, thanks.
Olympics.
Super Bowls.
World Series.
All-Star Games.
Been there.
Done that.
And I would gladly do that again.
More than anything, the thing I love about sports is that fact that you never know.
And to see it in person.
There is nothing like it.
I’ve been asked several times to name THE favorite event I’ve been to as a spectator.
And that’s not an easy question.
But for me it is a pretty easy answer.
It’s the Daytona 500.
Actually, the 1998 Daytona 500.
To be exact.
Now I didn’t grow up a big racing fan.
Not a racing fan at all.
Sure I knew who Richard Petty was.
And I went to college with a great guy named Jeff Gordon.
Not the racer.
And I always thought Lake Speed was a cool name for a driver.
But in 1995, when I was assigned to cover motor sports, full-time, I knew pretty much nothing about cars.
After all, I’m a Jewish guy from LA.
Who can’t change his own oil.
But since that’s what my boss wanted me to do.
Dag-gummit, that’s what I’m going to do.
I’m good like dat.
Seven years later, I was still covering NASCAR.
And loving it.
Really.
By that point, I had been to about 20 tracks around the country.
Darlington to Dover.
Rockingham to Talladega.
Of course, I didn’t tell them I was Jewish.
Duh.
But getting back to the Daytona 500.
In 1996, I attended the event for the first time.
With about 200,000 others.
That’s nearly five times the population of Kannapolis, North Carolina.
I went back again the next year.
Actually the next five years.
But 1998 was something special.
It was the 50th season of NASCAR.
The 40th Daytona 500.
And the 20th attempt by The Great Dale Earnhardt to win The Great American Race.
The Kannapolis native entered that year 0-for-19.
Now Dale Earnhardt was no ordinary race car driver.
He was “The Intimidator.”
He could see the air move around him.
Or so they said.
By 1998, he had seven NASCAR Championships.
Tied for the most with Petty, “The King.”
But unlike “The King”, who had seven Daytona 500 victories.
“The Intimidator” had never won the sport’s biggest race.
Sure Earnhardt had enjoyed plenty of success in Daytona.
With an amazing 30 wins on that track.
But exactly none of them came in the Daytona 500.
NASCAR’s Super Bowl.
So when Earnhardt, driving his #3 car, crossed the finish line before anyone in 1998, it was a big deal.
A big deal for him.
And his team.
And his millions of fans.
And the millions of racing fans who couldn’t stand him.
But most of all, it was a big deal for the sport.
And as he drove down pit road, heading towards victory lane for the first time as a Daytona 500 champ, he was greeted.
Greeted by the fans who loved him.
Greeted by the fans who hated him.
And greeted by every single member of every single pit crew.
That’s something that just doesn’t happen.
The people, who had been trying to intimidate the Intimidator, were paying their respects.
To a man who had changed their sport.
And their life.
Now I’ve always loved the exchange of handshakes at the end of a hockey playoff series.
But even that has become a little cliche.
And somewhat forced.
But in 1998, when hundreds of men, representing 43 teams, created a human red carpet.
For a man they had always battled.
And sometimes didn’t like.
It was really special.
And really unexpected.
It’s why we watch sports.
And to be standing on that asphalt road, as it was happening, was a moment I will never forget.
As I will never forget being on that same asphalt road exactly three years and three days later.
The 2001 Daytona 500.
That is a race nobody in NASCAR will ever forget.
That is the day the music died.
The day Dale Earnhardt died.
It happened on the last turn of the last lap of what turned out to be his last race.
Everyone watching knew right away that it was bad.
But it wasn’t until a couple of hours later that we knew how bad.
Plenty of people tried to sum it up by saying that the man died doing what he loved.
And maybe that’s true.
But for me, the bottom line is that the man had died.
It was an event I will never forget.
The same track.
The same race.
Two completely different results.
I guess that’s why we watch sports.
You never know.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - great entry - I can only imagine how you felt in 2001. I never watch NASCAR - I watch it as often as I watch the WNBA. But for some reason I was watching when Dale hit the wall and unlike you I didn't think anything of it. I have seen numerous guys hit the wall and be OK so I expected this to be the same thing - Dale hit the wall, he migh be slightly hurt but he'll be OK. And then we quickly found out that wasn't the case. He died "running interference" so Michael Waltrip could win HIS first Dayton 500 - a joyous moment for him - that was quickly one of the worst moments of his life