Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Breakfast With The Beatles

My seven-year old daughter was sick yesterday.
So she stayed home from school.
Poor girl.
Lucky me.
I got to make her breakfast.
Something we call an Egg Surprise.
That’s when you cut a hole in a piece of bread.
Throw it in a pan.
Drop an egg inside the hole.
Egg white in this case.
And fry it up.
And when you bite the bread.
SURPRISE!
It tastes like an omelette.
Well kinda sorta.
After that we took a 90-minute nap together.
We read books together.
We laughed and sang together.
It was a perfect morning.
So perfect, that at one point, I just started mumbling the words to “I Feel Fine.”
By The Beatles.
It was the line, “I’m so glad, that she’s my little girl.”
That made her smile.
Which made me smile.
While my rendition of the song was pretty darn good, if I must say so myself.
It definitely wasn’t even better than the real thing.
So I went on youtube to show her what the song is really supposed to sound like.
I typed in... “I Feel Fine” and “The Beatles”.
And in half a second I found “about 4,180 results”.
About 4,180?
Either it is or it isn’t, right?
Anywhoo... we had more versions of that song than Microsoft has versions of Windows.
I had a live version from the classic Shea Stadium concert.

Another live one from Japan.
A piano cover.
A version by The Supremes.
A version without vocals.

And then with vocals.
A guitar lesson on how to play the song.
And about 4,174 others.
About.
God Bless youtube.
And God Bless The Beatles.
I certainly couldn’t stop there.
We listened to one of my all-time faves, Oh Darling.
Revolution.
Real Love.
And a handful of others.
Including “Here Comes The Sun.”
A song she recognized.
“Hey, that’s from The Bee Movie,” she said.
A movie released in 2007.
38 years after The Beatles released the original.
It was cool watching her play air guitar.
Better than I play the real guitar.
And air drums.
Not quite like Ringo.
One thing that was really neat about the youtube videos was all the old pictures of the Fab Four.
I got to tell her about Sgt. Pepper.
And Ed Sullivan.
And the album cover from Abbey Road.
Actually she knew that one.
“That picture is hanging in my teacher’s room.”
Cool teacher.
She wanted to know the four names of these lads.
So I told her.
And then quizzed her on who was who.
My version of home schooling.
She didn’t do so well.
I think the matching mop tops and ever-changing facial hair threw her off.
With all of the black and white photos, she asked if all four guys were still alive.
That’s when the conversation changed.
I explained that Paul and Ringo are still with us.
And that George died from smoking cigarettes.
Maybe not 100% accurate, but close enough for a seven-year old.
And another good home lesson.
Then came the story of John Lennon.
I shared the details with her.
Keeping it as simple as possible.
But she kept asking.
And I kept answering.
As simple as I could.
And in the same way it didn’t make sense to this 13-year old boy on December 8, 1980.
It didn’t make sense to his seven-year old daughter.
30 plus years later.
I was eventually able to change the subject.
By playing her some of John’s solo stuff.
Including a little ditty called “Beautiful Boy”.
A beautiful song John wrote for his son five-year old son Sean.
Within a few lines, my daughter started singing along.
It’s a simple song.
But very touching.
For the last verse, she changed the lyrics.
To Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful.... 
Beautiful Dad.
I’m so glad that she's my little girl.



1 comment:

Kevin said...

My dad used to make me the same breakfast when I was little. It was called 'Toad in the Hole'.