Sunday, January 30, 2011

Just Do It

My 13-year old daughter has a dance competition later today.
She had one yesterday too.
She has one next week as well.
I missed yesterday’s event because my two younger kids each had basketball games.
I was going to miss today’s event too.
That’s because the tickets are $10.
For me.
And $5 for each of the kids.

My wife is the team mom, so at least the family would be represented.
And next week the group will doing the same exact dance.
For free.

So the plan to miss today’s event made perfect cents to me when my wife and I discussed it a few days ago.
It didn’t make nearly as much sense this morning.
I was going to miss my daughter’s dance for $20?
I was going to sit at home and watch the Pro Bowl Pregame show instead of watching my daughter?
For what reason?
$20?
I’m certainly not suggesting that $20 is nothing.
In fact, at Applebees, it can buy you one appetizer and two entrees.
But the Riblet Basket only stays with you for three or four hours.
Watching your child smile lasts... at least a day.
So I informed my wife and my 13-year old that we would be attending today’s event.
And that was final.
When they asked why.
I replied, “what if I’m not here next week?”
The room went silent.
And if you know my family, that is no small feat.
Now I’m not trying to go all Nostradamus on you or anything like that.
But based on the reaction my wife and daughter had, you would’ve thought my magic eight ball had gone all black.
I certainly wasn’t suggesting that some evil force is going to take over the world.
Or take over my existence.
But who knows.
Not me.
And not you.
But what I do know is that I have no plans from 5:00-6:00 tonight.
Well, had no plans.
So there was absolutely no good reason why I couldn’t watch my daughter dance.
Thankfully I don’t need to sweat out the $20.
Not yet.
But even if I did, is there a better way to use that money than watching your child follow her dream?
(Well, the Provolone-Stuffed Meatballs with Fettuccine does look tempting.)


I can remember a situation about nine years ago when my wife and I had dinner with my dad and his wife.
McCormick and Schmicks.
I never forget a meal.
Well at that meal the subject of Notre Dame Football came up.
As you may recall, I love Notre Dame Football.
Well my dad, who lived his dream working with sports teams for 40+ years, had never been to South Bend, Indiana.
The home of Notre Dame.
And he loved big events.
The Super Bowl.
All-Star Games.
Yankee Stadium.
And when it comes to college football, there is nothing bigger than Notre Dame.
(Hey this is my blog.   Therefore, my opinion.)
So I said to him, “why don’t we go back to Notre Dame for a game?”
“One of these years,” he said.
“What do you mean one of these years?   Let’s go now.”
So that October.
October 20th, to be exact.
My dad and I were back in South Bend.
To see the Fighting Irish face USC and those hated Trojans.
No bigger game in college football.
At least not for me.
And not for us.
We went a day early.
To be at the pep rally.
We walked around the campus.
Got to the stadium before kickoff.
And enjoyed the greatest game of all-time.
Well, maybe not all-time.

Although Notre Dame did win 27-16.
But it was a father/son weekend like no other.
And no other we would ever have again.
Eight months later he was gone.
A massive heart attack.
He didn’t even make it to the next college football season.
It’s a good thing we went when we did.
Now I’m not in the advice business.
Never have been.
But do yourself a favor and take a close look at that “To Do List”.
See if there is something you can do.

Today.
I’ll be watching my daughter dance.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be biased about Notre Dame but I am not. I HATE THEM! Hate EVERYTHING about them - especially that Leprechaun who I want to die a long slow painful death.

But I am a CFB fan and in Sept 2009 I went to a home game with a friend who loves ND as much as it sounds like you do.

OMG! It was AWESOME! Like you we got there a day early and toured the campus (the bookstore is bigger than most mansions) and gorgeous and the Pep Rallyw as great. ND won the game which came down to the last seconds.

I HEARTILY encourage anyone who loves CFB to fly to Chicago and drive the 100 or so miles to South Bend and see a game - you will not be upset you did.

My "To Do List" has a game at Manchester United and either Chelsea/Arsenal or Liverpool on it. If this sounds like something you want to do have your people call mine and we can set it up :-)

Anonymous said...

Sir Bacon

Congratulations on knowing what's urgent vs what's important :). i've followed your postings and am blessed by your realization that todays' is all that we're promised and that you're not defined by your circumstances but by your character.