Friday, January 14, 2011

Deep Thoughts

Every night, at about the same time, I get a text.
Actually, it is not really a text.
It is more like a pep talk.
And it is not just for me.
I’m guessing it is for a bunch of people.
It comes from someone I consider a celebrity in the sports world.
It’s pretty cool seeing his name pop up on my phone.
Every night.
I’m not really sure how I made it onto the list.
Even though at one point we sorta worked together.
And he seemed to like my work.
But it doesn’t really matter how I got there.
The fact is I got there.
Now let’s be honest, would this nightly motivational text be nearly as cool if it came from Joseph Schmo?

No.
And even though that’s a crappy answer, it’s an honest answer.
But each night, around the same time, my phone starts buzzing.
Or dinging.
Or something to notify me that it is time for the Tony Robbins Inspirational Quote of the Day.
Well actually, Mr. Robbins has not made the cut.
Yet.
But the list of those who have been quoted is wide ranging.
Vince Lombardi.   Henry David Thoreau.  Ralph Waldo Emerson.   Charles Schwab.  George Bernard Shaw.
George Bernard Shaw?   I loved him on CNN.
It’s a veritable who’s who.
Well, in some cases, more like...
WHO?
Last night’s quote came from someone named Mark Victor Hansen.
His website calls him “America’s Ambassador of Possibility.”
I always thought he was the father of the MMM Bop kids.
Anywhoo... Mr. Hansen’s quote read like this:
Don’t wait until everything is just right.  
It will never be perfect.
There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions.
So what.
Get started now.
With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self confident and more and more successful.

Inspiration.

What a concept.
I have been known to inspire from time to time.
And I have certainly been known to need inspiration from time to time too.
If you don’t believe me, read my last blog.
But the bottom line is a little positive energy has never hurt anyone.
Unless the positive energy is natural gas and somebody is smoking a cigarette five feet away.
But that’s a different story.
The important thing here is that my celeb friend is just trying to spread some love.
Paul and John did it.
Barney did it.
And you did it too.
MANY of you.
The response I got from my last blog was overwhelming.
As I responded to many of you, the support you showed me left me without words.
And I am supposed to be the writer.
I heard from some of  you I know.
I heard from some of you for the first time.
I heard from my amazing therapist, who probably knows me better than I know myself.
I was told to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
I was told to keep writing.  I was reminded we are not made of wood.
I was even told by a loyal reader to give Prozac a chance.
And I thank you for all of that.
Like re-gifting the box of chocolate, it’s the thought that counts.
When I started struggling with sleep a few weeks ago, I went to my doctor to get some help.
I left with a new friend.
Her name is Xanax.
30 tablets.
And as of this moment, I still have 30 left.
As I told a wonderful reader who reached out to me for the first time.
I’m not sure if that is a victory or not, but I feel good that I’ve been feeling good.
I hope this doesn’t sound like a disclaimer for an infomercial.
But the words I express in my blog are my words.
And even though they reflect how I feel, they do not necessarily reflect how I feel every minute of every day.
I’m really glad I wrote the last blog.
And I meant every word I said.
I cleared it with my wife ahead of time to make sure she didn’t get ambushed by the paparazzi.
But the bottom line is I have good days and bad days.
Good minutes and bad minutes.
Just like you.

But the important thing is to keep moving forward.
And it doesn’t really matter where your inspiration comes from.
As long as it keeps coming.
Even if its a text message.



1 comment:

Demeur said...

You can take the slightest bit of comfort in knowing that you aren't the only one going through this crap.

Stop for a moment and consider what you do have. You must have a roof overhead. Also an internet connection for which to be writing this post. Should be some food in the house with you and the kids.

So keep this in mind. No matter how bad things get nothing is permanent. As I said to Lisa at her blog you're not the Lone Ranger you know.

Been out of work almost three years now and only worked two and a half weeks in that time (false starts). Unemployment ran out 7 month ago but I'm still here trying. All you can do is keep on keeping on. And by the way welcome to the club.