Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Ride

My Christmas present just arrived.
Yes, it may seem a little late for Christmas.
But it’s exactly what I was hoping for.
A 2004 PT Cruiser.
Pewter in color.
And since Santa is done for the season, my older brother Kevin was the one who delivered it.
He drove the car more than a thousand miles, 1284 to be exact, to get it to me.
About seven years ago, my mom bought the brand new car when she was living alone in San Diego.
It took her everywhere she needed to go.
Which apparently was right around the corner.
That’s because in those seven years she put a whopping 12,000 miles on the car.
12,000 divided by 7.   Carry the one.
Wow.
I do more than that just going to Starbucks.
When my mom moved into an assisted living facility near us, she left the car in Southern California.
About a year ago Kevin picked it up and drove it home with him to the other side of the state.
We had all planned on Kevin selling the car and giving all of the proceeds to my mom’s college fund.
But that never happened.
And that’s a good thing.
When we decided to make the big move to New York, I decided to sell my big phat luxurious car.
I figured I didn’t need any car while I was living in the big city.
And I didn’t need a nice car when we moved to the ‘burbs.
Enter Phillip Travis Cruiser.
His friends call him PT.
What a perfect ride for what I needed.
And the perfect price too.
Free.
Happy Jewish Christmas!
And a few days ago my brother delivered the goods.
Talk about full service.
While he was here, we got some good solid quality brotherly bonding time.
And a bunch of great meals in too.
He’s 14 years older than me, so we probably have more in common now than ever before in our life.
When he was 18, he really didn’t want to hang with a four-year old.
Plus he always loved skiing and surfing and fishing.
And I loved... eating ice cream.
And sitting on a couch.
But now that we are both old.
And gray.
We talk all about all sorts of things.
Like when Muhammed Ali beat Sonny Liston.
Or Bob Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde album.
Or the Food Network.
During his stay, I think we hit all of those.
And more.
When he got the car here, he handed me the keys and a list of things I needed to get done.
And so far, so good.

Oil change.   Check.
Radiator flush.  Check.
Rear Wiper.  Check.
Detail.  Check.
Registration.  Check.
Insurance.  Check.
Tires.   Not yet.
We figured that with less than 15,000 miles on the tires, they should be ok for a while.
I took them to the local tire dealer to check the air and double check the rubber.
They said the tires were a little worn on the side, but they should be fine through the winter.
“But keep your eye out for the Michelin $70 rebate and get them done then.”
REBATE????  
That’s the third word they taught me in Hebrew School.
You don’t want to know the first two.
I’m in.
Well as my luck would have it, tonight I was at Costco -- the greatest store in the world -- when I saw a sign.
Not a sign from God.
A sign from Costco.
BUY FOUR MICHELIN TIRES AND GET $70 OFF.
Sold!
So I went in to buy my four tires, get my $70 off, and check one more thing off my list.
But the Costco we were at only had one of the tires.
They told me that the Costco closer to where we are living had the other three I needed.
So we bought the one tire and headed home.
Ready to make the trek to the closer Costco in the morning.
About one mile from our home, with a fresh Michelin sitting in the back of the Cruiser, God’s sense of humor kicked in.
It sounded something like this.
THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.   THUD.
No way.
Way.
When I got out to check, I noticed the front left tire was as flat as the pancakes at Waffle House.
And if I noticed it, it had to be obvious.
I can’t even change my own oil.
Or my own tire.
Thankfully that’s where AAA kicks in.
While we were waiting for the tow truck, we did the walk, in near freezing weather, to get the kids home.
Then my wife drove me back to the car.
And within minutes the truck arrived.
And within seconds the guy put the donut on the wheel.
Or the axel on the rim.
Or the rubber on the whatever.
Whatever he did, he did it so quickly, I didn’t have time to say, “how’d you do that?”
No biggie.  I’ve made it 43 years without changing my own tire.
Why start now?
Too bad my brother wasn’t there.
I’m sure he'd know how to do it.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having read all your posts so for I put together a few similarities and differences between us.
1. We are both 43 years old!
2. I have 2 kids and you have 3.
3. I went through serious job stress in my 30's and you in your 40's.
4. I immigrated to America in the 90's while you married an immigrant(?)
5. You are a good writer while I am a poor one.
6. We both love food.
7. I can change a flat tire but you can't.
8. We both love sports.
9. We both know how not to waste money.

Why am I writing all this. I have no idea. Keep digging. You will find success soon.

Sir Bacon said...

You comment has made my day.

The connections I have made with people through this blog have blown me away.

I really appreciate you reaching out.

Even though you claim to be a poor writer, I love your attention to detail and your creativity.

I wish you all the best and hope you continue following my journey.