Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Next!



Hello Friends...
Sorry for the few days off from blogging.   
It might make a little more sense in 686 words.   The good news is, I’ve got plenty of time now to share the new stories of my life.
Sir Bacon
I’ve seen a lot of wild days come and go.
The day I threw my five iron after my tee shot and hit a friend in the head.
The day I witnessed a bank robbery.
The day I made seven errors in one high school baseball game.
And then wrote the article in the school newspaper. 
Of course, with no mention of the seven errors.
But Friday could be the weirdest of them all.
I woke up in my new home of Manhattan.
Checked my email, as I always did, before heading to work.
And it is a good thing I did.
There was a bunch of junk mail, as there always is.
But there was one email that stood out.
It was from my work.
Telling me to come in for a meeting.
Four hours later I was on a plane headed home to be with my family.
I probably left out a few details.
Sorry.
As you might imagine, the story is A LOT more complex than that, but in the spirit of the blog, that’s all you are going to get.
Suffice to say, plans to move to the big apple have hit a detour.
Actually, a roadblock.
A New York sized pot hole.
Take your pick.
Life is nothing if not complicated... and confusing.
But the news is not all bad and in many ways it is not bad at all.
Regrets are a giant waste of time and I have none.
Or at least none to share.
The last two plus months have been amazing.   
I never realized just how great New York is.
But I do now.
I have absolutely no idea what the future holds and I probably won’t know until my head stops spinning.
Whenever that is.
But as I sat on a plane writing the latest chapter of my life, there were at least 4,398,729 thoughts going through my skull.
Most of which surrounded my family.
They had just finished up an 11-day trip to Manhattan preparing for their new life.
So much for those plans.
But hey, we still got plans.
Big plans.
We got some incredible news just a few days ago when my 13-year old daughter was invited to be part of a dance troop.
A dance troop that will be dancing in EUROPE.
Yes, that Europe.
Only eight girls were invited.
That trip will take place the same time my 11-year old son is playing in a week-long baseball tournament.
A tournament in Cooperstown, New York.
Yes, that Cooperstown.
My life has certainly been a roller-coaster ride for the last few years.
But that ride keeps landing in the same place.
Family.

No matter how many twists and turns life has provided, and there have been MANY, my wife and kids have always been my rock.
My rock, even while living in a hard place.
I can’t say -- both literally and figuratively -- what’s next in my life.
But I can say, without ANY hesitation, that celebrating the accomplishments of my children is where I plan on using my energy.
That and band practice.
Me and the boys played for four hours on Sunday.
We are back in the garage tonight.
I think somebody is telling me that’s where I need to be.
How do I know?
Well, during my flight home I was listening to the airline’s music channel.
And so far four of the nine songs our band plays have come on the channel.
And we don’t dare cover The Beatles.
I’m talking Marshall Crenshaw’s Someday Someway.
Not exactly the Billboard 1000.
I’m not trying to say that just because we are 30,000 feet in the air the signal to the big decider in the sky is more clear.
I’m just sayin.
I’ve spent most of my life under the guidelines of... things happen for a reason.
So don’t stop now.
Come on --- I’m sitting on a plane and Marshall Crenshaw’s Someday, Someway comes on.
28 years after it his #36 on the charts.
Really?
I think I’m in good hands.
Next.
P.S.   Thanks to all for your wonderful comments.   
As you might imagine, there are a lot of emotions attached to the latest chapter of my life, but as the t-shirt says, Life is Good.
As always, I welcome your correspondence.   If you feel the urge, please feel free to contact me via email at sirbacon123@yahoo.com.
Have a great day.




1 comment:

Sandra L. said...

Hi, I found your blog by Googling "unemployment blog." Wow, you've got quite a story. I don't know what to say! How disappointing it must have been to start a new job and have it go pffft in 90 days.
I have been unemployed for 25 months. Just ran out of UC benefits. I may turn to temping, and hope that there are actually some clerical jobs out there.
One of your posts said something about the things friends say, meaning to help. Man, I know all about that. I have heard it all, from "go back to school for a master's" to "why don't you work in a pet store since you love animals so much." I know they mean well, but I want to slap somebody sometimes.
I admire your upbeat attitude. I know it can't be easy. What can I say but hang in there.
If you would like, drop by my blog sometime, OK?
Take care!