Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Old Man

The trip began with a 6:25am departure.

That meant a 4:15am arrival at the home of Mark and Sandy.
(The names have been changed to protect the innocent.)
Sandy is the daughter, classmate of my daughter.
Mark is the dad, drummer in my band.
With my daughter entering high school in four months, I don’t need much of a reminder that I am getting old.
But my first reminder came first thing in the morning when my daughter wished me a happy birthday.
My 44th birthday.
This year’s present was a great one.
10 days with her.
And just her.
And those 70 classmates.
My second reminder of how old I am came on the ride to Mark & Sandy’s house.
“No Myth”, a hit song by Michael Penn came on the radio.
A hit song in 1989.
Eight years before my daughter was born.
Always trying to educate, I thought this was the perfect opportunity.
“Do you know whose brother is singing?”
“Who?”
“Sean Penn.”
Cricket.
Cricket.
“Who’s Sean Penn?”
WHO’S SEAN PENN!!!!
He’s the guy from Fast Times... and Milk... and...
Oh, never mind.
Am I 44 or 444?




No comments: